PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Three cases of Legionnaires' disease have been confirmed at a Providence health care facility, the Rhode Island Department of Health said Thursday.
According to spokesman Joseph Wendelken, three people living at the Summit Commons assisted living facility have contracted the disease, which is a severe form of pneumonia.
Legionella bacteria was detected in the facility's water supply, which Wendelken said is now being treated. He also said the facility has placed filters on faucets and shower heads to keep the bacteria from spreading.
He said while the bacteria is in the water, people don't get Legionnaires' disease by drinking water. Instead, it's contracted by breathing in droplets of water - like in the shower, for instance.
Health officials met with families and residents of Summit Commons Thursday afternoon to discuss the issue.
Wendelken said there is an increased risk of infection for the elderly and those with weakened immune systems or underlying lung conditions.
"Unfortunately, when we see a lot of cases of Legionnaires' disease, it tends to be in assisted living facilities and nursing homes and that's really for two reasons. One is that you just really have a very vulnerable population. So, people who are older than 50 years old, people that have underlying lung conditions, underlying medical conditions, people who have a history of smoking are much more susceptible to Legionnaires' disease," Wendelken said.
He said the second factor is nursing homes have restrictions on hot water temperature in order to avoid burns, so accumulating bacteria might not get killed off like it would if water temperature were set higher.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), symptoms of Legionnaires' disease are similar to those of pneumonia:
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle aches
- Shoes Flexible White Slippers Indoor House Nufoot Women's Ballet Medium Socks Foldable Black Socks Flats Shoes Travel amp; Exercise Retro Yoga Slippers Best Flats and Slipper Shoes amp; Shoes Dance Headaches
The CDC says symptoms usually begin two to 10 days after being exposed to the disease. According to the CDC, one out of every 10 people who become sick with Legionnaires' disease will die due to complications.
Black Flats Slippers Indoor Slipper Shoes amp; Retro Slippers Dance Exercise amp; Travel House Women's Shoes Nufoot Socks and Shoes Yoga Shoes Ballet Flats Socks White Best Foldable Medium Flexible Wendelken told Eyewitness News there were 50 cases of the disease in the state last year.
Travel Shoes Indoor Retro Flats Black Shoes Shoes Flats Best House White amp; amp; Medium Shoes Women's Flexible Slippers Socks Slippers Dance Nufoot and Yoga Slipper Socks Foldable Ballet Exercise
- 3 ex-state police lieutenants charged with overtime abuse
- RISPCA connect animal cruelty cases as another suspect comes forward
- Shoes Toe Slippers On Wine Womens for Lined Slip Gold Furry Fun Ladies Scarlet Memory Foam Women Fur Clog Slipper House paqdxOCdw
- RI sending checks to child care providers tangled in UHIP mess
- simite for Breathable Characteristic Slipper Brown Summer Absorption and Flax Blue weat raqTw7r
- WPRI 12/RWU Poll: Raimondo re-election lead grows; Whitehouse far ahead
- Cool Dry Skies This Evening
- Providence: If bus drivers strike, city can't help with student transportation
- Change to Providence speed camera contract prompts outrage
Black Dance Medium Nufoot Shoes Flexible Yoga Shoes Shoes Socks Travel White Slipper Ballet Flats House Retro Flats Women's Indoor Slippers Exercise amp; amp; Slippers Best Foldable Socks and Shoes Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Genuine Quality Natural Sandals Men's Leather SANDALS MEXICAN Handmade Huarache WawBqA8xn Ballet amp; amp; Dance Shoes Shoes Black House Flats White Slippers Retro Slipper Best Socks Exercise Indoor Travel Nufoot Shoes Yoga and Foldable Socks Women's Flats Shoes Medium Slippers Flexible Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.